We have been using maps.me on two continents and eight countries since we have discovered this smartphone application for our trip to Japan. We love it so much that we want you to be able to use our interactive maps on the go as well. So here is a brief tutorial, based on the example of the interactive map of Paris.
- Start by downloading the free “maps.me” app on your smartphone (I use an iPhone and will base the rest of the tutorial on it).
- Start the app and go to the “download maps” section (click the green icon at the bottom right-hand corner) to get the relevant regions for your trip. On our case, browse to Europe, France, Paris & Ile-de-France, and select “Download map”.
- Now, on your computer, go to the relevant interactive map: https://bestregardsfromfar.com/europe/france/paris/. Click on the “enlarge map” icon to view it in GoogleMaps.
- A new tab opens: click on the 3 vertical dots on the top-right-hand corner of the reading plane to access more options. Then, click on “download KML”. Then, check the export to KML (only) option.
- Next, a window opens prompting you to either open or save the file. Choose to save it to the directory of your choice.
- Once downloaded, go to that directory and email the file to yourself, on an email address you can consult from your smartphone.
- On your smartphone, check your email, and click for a long moment on the .kml file attachement at the bottom of the email you have just sent to yourself. Several options will appear: select the “copy to maps.me” option.
- Maps.me will open, and magically, all of our pins with the relevant notes will appear on your map. Note though that the colors of the pins are not respected, and all the pins appear in red by default. You can delete pins or change their colors simply by clicking on the pin in maps.me.