Watching a show on Broadway when visiting New York City is an absolute must. You might have heard of the red TKTS ticket booth already, as it has become a landmark of Times Square. Every day, hundreds of tourists queue to get discounted tickets for the same night performances. But read along, as a couple of insider’s tips may help you buy your tickets more efficiently:
- Pick a few shows. As only same-day tickets are sold, if your show is sold out, have a back-up plan!
- Go to TKTS South Street Seaport. The TKTS ticket booth on Times Square sells tickets for that same evening. People start lining up about two hours prior to secure tickets for their favourite show. What most people don’t know is that there is another TKTS ticket booth in Manhattan! A lot less crowded, it is located in South Street Seaport: go there and save some time!
- Go at 10:45am. The TKTS ticket booth on Times Square opens only at 3PM to sell tickets for that same evening (earlier for matinée tickets only). The TKTS South Street Seaport location opens at 11am! Show up a bit prior and you will be amongst the first ones buying your tickets that will end up for sale on Times Square only 4 hours later. This guarantees the broadest musical choice and the best seats!
- No tickets past 6pm? TKTS Times Square! Last minute arrangements? The Times Square location closes at 8pm, so you can always try to get tickets just before your show starts and run to the theatre!
- Tickets for matinée. The Times Square TKTS booth sells tickets for the same day only: it opens at 10am for the same day matinée tickets. The South Street Seaport location sells tickets for the matinée for the next day.
- Updates on the TKTS app. The free TKTS application for smartphones gives an up-to-date list of tickets available at every TKTS booths: feel free to check it before you head out!
Claire & Marcella
- For more details about TKTS: check this website.
- Check out this interactive map (quick tutorial) for the specific details to help you plan your trip and more articles and photos (zoom out) about the area! The map focuses on the South Street Seaport location. Note that there is a second location on Time Square & a third one in Downtown Brooklyn (all shown on the map: just zoom out).
Like it? Pin it!
For more in NYC: